teaching the language of drama

Tuesday, April 3, 2007

simulated teaching

Simulated teaching is actually a practice which helps a teacher going to be like me with my classmates to at least experience the teaching situation. This semester is the first time that we were observed by Dr Edwin himself because last semester, we did it with our tutor in a group. Contrarily, this time we were going do the simulated teaching individually. Moreover, I was the first student to do the simulated teaching in my class. I was so nervous since I never experience to be the first one to present individually in any presentation for the whole of my life.

For the simulated teaching, we were assigned to teach the upper level students like college or either lower or upper secondary level. Due to that case, I decided to teach and focus on the character traits of Antigone for this assignment. I have divided my teaching into three parts excluding the set induction. In my set induction, I ask the students to listen to the song ‘We are the champion’ by Queens since I want the students to relate the spirits and desirable besides the determination that we feel if we are so serious in doing something that we want which is similar to what Antigone felt and character traits. In the first activity that I have planned, the students need to read the extract and underline the modal verbs in the extract that I have given them. They then have to note what is the verbs that they have underlined indicates. Next, the students need to fill in the table, the possible character traits of Antigone in the extract that they have read. I then ask the students to write the differences in the character traits of Antigone and Ismene. In this activity, the students are allowed to use the evidences in the other parts of the text. In the last activity, the students need to write a letter to Haemon, as if they are Ismene. In the letter, they need to tell about Antigone traits that they could not stop any longer or prevent her from doing something that can cause her to death. They also need to include their thoughts and feelings as they want Haemon to advise Antigone.

However, I was quite down when Dr Edwin says that my 2 (b) activity does not really relate to the previous activity. In addition to that, I did not have the opportunity to redo my lesson plan like some of my friends have done because he advised me to concentrate to other assignments. But then, I was quite satisfied since I have done my job while many of friends still being worry and nervous waiting for their turn. As a matter of fact, I was actually happy with the marks that I get. Overall, simulated teaching is something indeed a lesson to me to learn of besides taking it as one of the preparation of my real teaching which is soon going to be.

1 Comments:

At April 6, 2007 at 10:22 PM , Blogger norbaiti said...

Oh..so sad as to read your simulated teaching's experience. I cannot imagine if I was in you place. I don't think that I could do as what you have done. Well done!
I still can remeber when you were presenting that day, how you were so nervous that you can't even decide where to put the hadphone as top make the song clear for all the students. And without you realized it, you actually had covered the phone speaker and make it slower that you expected. Plus, when Dr Edwin asks about the lyrics of the song, again I could see your face turn into red and so nervous.
But, I think, that's all are great experience for you. aAnd by that, you actually realized that you are a great person and maybe can be a great teacher in future.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home