teaching the language of drama

Saturday, March 31, 2007

King Lear

Finally! We have finished study King Lear! What a relief! Honestly, it was so boring. However, it is actually interesting indeed. In a way that it has something that should be learnt to by any students especially TESL students as it is a necessity for them and me in order to be a better person.

I do not even know what actually King Lear is about when we first were asked to buy the book by Dr Edwin and I thought it would be more interesting than some of Shakespeare’s pieces of arts such as Midsummer Nights’ Dream, which have I studied before. However, I then found out that it is in fact different but there are conflicts that involving parent in both plays; Midsummer Night’s Dream and King Lear.

In King Lear, it is obvious that both Lear and Gloucester have been blind and make a false decision and their weakness has been taken granted by their children. In this play too, we can see that the role of the wheel of fortune in our life does takes its place and role. I said this because I can see that it is true that sometimes we can be at the highest place or hierarchy in our life but then, there are times when we move or go down and own nothing compared to what we used to have. As we can see in this play, Lear at the beginning is the most powerful person, as everybody has to follow what his rule is. For example, when he banished Kent and Cordelia, nobody can question what he said. But we then see that he has no power at all and it turn worse when he could not even have many men to follow him as Goneril against it.

Lastly, I was hoping that we could watch the movie or video of the play King Lear so that I would see and understand it better. Besides that, it will also be more interesting.

1 Comments:

At April 8, 2007 at 6:55 AM , Blogger nurulhazhan elfikrie said...

Yes… Yes… Horey…! I know how to you feel as we finally have finished study King Lear. Emm, but it does not mean I dislike this play, OK. For me, it is an interesting play. And I really hope that I can watch the movie on it just like Macbeth. I am totally sure that I could understand this play better if I watch the movie. Don’t you think so?
Actually, you can compare this play with A Midsummer Night’s Dream as these two plays are from two different genres. In addition, these two plays are different in many ways such as in term of term and conflict appears in this play. Let says that you have be given two different foods. One is an eastern food and another is a western food. You cannot say this food is tasted well but another is not. It is not a fair judgement as you are given two slightly different things. But, never mind as long as you understand the play and can answer your final exam. Hihi… Very exam oriented. What say you?
And, when I read and learn further about this play, it makes me think of one of P. Ramlee’s movie entitle ‘Ahmad Albab’. Have you watched that movie? Actually, it is one of my favourite movies. I do not know why. I can watch this movie over and over again without being bored. In this movie, the father asks his three daughters to describe their love towards him during his birthday. Just like Lear, the father seems to misjudge his daughters’ words. Emm, after read this play, I wonder if P. Ramlee have read this play too before. Or maybe the movie ‘Ahmad Albab’ was inspiring by the play King Lear. Whose know?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home