teaching the language of drama

Saturday, March 31, 2007

open text

What is an ‘open text’? As what I understand, it is called open text because it help the director in a drama or play as he can do whatever he want the text or speech or dialogue be read by the actor. Well, if it is not an open text, the director has to follow what have the scriptwriter planned. In the text, the speaker can be anybody. There is no rule that needs a specific person to read it as there is no name or gender of character is written. There is also no stage direction in the text. Again, the director has the opportunity to do anything as what he wishes it to be.

All these years of learning, I never realise that there are such dialogue like open text until the day my classmates and I were assigned by Dr Edwin to read some lines in the book, ‘Now Read On’. I still remember the day; it was Monday, 15 January 2007. At first, we were asked to read those lines for quite a few times according to any mood that we like. My partner, Adibah bt Abdul Latip and I, tried to read the lines several times with different ways of pronunciations and moods. Besides that, we tried to make it so real as we even volunteered to present in front of the class. Earlier, I was confused of how to pronounce those lines differently because there was no reference how to do it at all. But then, I was quite happy at that time because our presentation was good and most of the students enjoyed and laughed when we do the presentation.

Personally, I like the way Dr Edwin taught the open text stuffs to us because he some kind had let us experienced the learning and it is somehow had helped me to remember the key words, the criteria of open text as I had to relate it to myself when I personally practices and do the presentation.

1 Comments:

At April 8, 2007 at 3:13 AM , Blogger nursyahida said...

You are right Rohaida, and i think most of us actually do not aware of the existence of such open text if we're not been taught about that. i do know that one sentence can read via few different tones which bring to different meaning but to look at it more closely from the context as Dr. Edwin told us, never. I also think that Adibah had acted out the open text role play sucessfully, as the whole class were having fun.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home